Sciatica is a type of back and leg pain caused by sciatic nerve compression or irritation. The sciatic nerve is your body’s largest nerve, emerging from the lower end of your spinal cord in the small of your back. The nerve divides into the tibial and common personal nerves as it travels down the leg, providing feeling and movement to the lower leg.
According to Spine specialist doctor in Delhi This is because sciatica can be caused by anything that compresses your sciatic nerve as it exists at the lower spine or courses down into your leg. Among the most common causes are:
- A traumatic injury to the lower spine or pelvis can injure the sciatic nerve directly. A fracture can result in bone fragments that can compress the nerve.
- The sciatic nerve can be compressed if the discs between the vertebrae in the lower spine herniate.
- The sciatic nerve can be compressed as it exits the spine due to spinal stenosis, or narrowing of the space around the spinal nerves in the lower spine.
- Sciatic nerve inflammation can be caused by spine arthritis.
- Pregnancy can cause sciatica if the uterus expands and compresses the sciatic nerve.
- Growth of a tumor near the lower spine or the sciatic nerve
- Spinal cord or spinal nerve infection
- Piriformis syndrome refers to sciatic nerve compression caused by the piriformis muscle, which is located in your lower spine.
Treatment for sciatica
The first step in treating sciatica is to use some straight forward but effective home remedies:
- Heat or ice packs may be beneficial.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as Tylenol and Motrin can help with pain and inflammation.
- Some people benefit from the use of lidocaine patches.
- Keep moving as much as possible, as spending too much time in bed can exacerbate the situation.
- Stretching, light exercise, and good posture can help relieve pain and prevent future sciatica episodes.
If the pain doesn’t subside after trying home remedies it’s advisable to consult a spine specialist who is specially trained in treating Sciatica pain. You can consult the Best Spine specialist in Dwarka.